State Water application form: Allocation assignment

The current water allocation available under a water access licence can be sold. The sale does not affect future water allocations, which accrue to the licence. This allows the holder to sell water in their water allocation account that is surplus to their immediate needs. or to buy water to meet a short-term requirement.

If you do not hold a licence you can apply to the NSW Office of Water for a new water access licence with a share component of zero units. The buyer must hold a water access licence to purchase allocation water.

Initially, water allocation assignments can occur:

Water allocation assignment dealings in unregulated rivers and groundwater systems NOT managed by State Water are available in very limited circumstances where extraction is metered. The NSW Office of Water is the consent and registration authority for these dealings. Contact a water regulation officer if you would like to apply for a water allocation assignment in these systems.

Search the NSW Water Register for trading statistics on water allocation assignments and processing times for applications.

Temporary trade trial - Peel to Namoi Valley 2014/15

The NSW Office of Water is undertaking a trial of temporary inter-valley water trade from the Peel Valley to the Namoi Valley for the 2014/15 water year. Read the Temporary trade trial - Peel to Namoi Valley fact sheet (PDF 33 KB).

What if I want water for more than one season?

If you want water for more than one season you could consider a term transfer of a water access licence. If you want a permanent arrangement you could investigate either the purchase of a licence or share component of a licence.

How do I apply?

For interstate assignments, you will need to complete the State Water form as well as the required application form for the other state. If the water allocation is being moved into NSW, the forms should be submitted to State Water. If the water is being moved out of NSW, the forms need to be lodged with the relevant department in the destination state – either the Lower Murray Urban and Rural Water Corporation in Victoria or the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources in South Australia.

For the application to be processed, it must:

There is a fee which is to be submitted with the application form. For an interstate assignment, the other state's department will also charge an application fee.