What is a co-held licence?

A water access licence can be held by one or more holders.

Where there are multiple holders of the same licence:

Holdings in a co-held licence are similar to the co-ownership of property, such as when two or more persons own a landholding. The holdings in the licence may be held as joint tenants or tenants in common.

Can a holding be separated from a co-held licence?

Yes. A holding in a co-held licence which is held as tenants in common can be separated from the original licence to create a new licence. The original licence is not cancelled but is reduced to account for the exited holdings.

This transaction is referred to as exiting from a co-held water access licence, and is a type of 'water dealing' provided in section 74 of the Water Management Act 2000.

This dealing achieves the same outcome as subdivision and transfer dealings, but in one transaction with one application fee.

Typically, this dealing will be used to facilitate a member of a former joint authority exiting the jointly held water access licence.

Application form

Apply to exit from a co-held water access licence using the application form:

The Act specifies requirements about how an application can be made and also specifies circumstances when applications cannot be accepted. For more information about application requirements and prohibitions, refer to the Guide.