LPI application form: Transfer form W-01T (PDF 27.72 KB).

Water access licences may be transferred in accordance with Section 71M of the Water Management Act 2000.

Use a transfer dealing for the following purposes:

A water access licence or a holding in a water access licence can be sold or transferred as part of a property settlement or as an independent asset.

Consent from the NSW Office of Water is not required: the transfer (sale) must be registered, with the consent of security interest holders, with Land and Property Information (LPI) once the transaction is complete.

If you want to use a licence at a new location within the water source specified in the licence, you will need to apply to change the zone and/or nominated work on the licence. Go to Changing a water access licence for more information.

When can the buyer extract water?

The seller may agree to allow the buyer to take water during the period between settlement and registration (the post-settlement period). The seller will need to provide the buyer with written authorisation.

If the licence is on a regulated river system or major inland groundwater system it is up to the buyer to lodge this authorisation with State Water Corporation. This authorisation does not entitle the buyer to sell the licence's water allocation to another licence holder or conduct other dealings during the post-settlement period.

When is the transfer complete?

The transfer of the water access licence is complete and becomes legally effective only when it is registered on the Water Access Licence Register by Land and Property Information. Until this happens, the seller remains the holder of the licence.

Search for transfers

Use the NSW Water Register to search for statistics on licence transfers by water source or water access licence.